Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Trek To Temecula

A couple of weeks ago my friend Elbert and I make the long ol' trek to Temecula. OK, not that long... Temecula is about 60 miles north of San Diego along the I-15 but to someone who has become somewhat acclimated to the "city" of San Diego Temecula might as well be in another country. I had been wine tasting in Temecula once before and was not terribly impressed so this was the region's second chance. I have to say that while the overall impression is still far below that of the other California viticultural areas some places are showing real promise, enough that I wound up buy about a case of wine from various places.

Our first stop was Falkner Winery and it was a pretty good place to start. High on a hilltop with a nice view of the area I was impressed. The tasting room as nice and the staff knowledgeable and willing to discuss not only their own offerings but those of other wineries (we took their advice on another place that I will talk about later). One of their more interesting taste offerings was a 2003 Merlot and a 2004 Merlot. The 2004 was, to general consensus, a little young (give it another 6 months or so to smooth out a bit) but their 2003 was very nice, traditional flavors of black cherry and a hint of vanilla with good structure and nice smooth tannins. Their 2003 Syrah was also quite nice... again somewhat traditional but well made. I liked it well enough to grab a one along with their 2003 Merlot. Their most popular red, "Luscious Lips", didn't do anything for me... a bit too sweet but both Elbert and I could see why a lot of people would like it. Here's Elbert at the tasting room (I don't think he really thought I would post this pic... HA!):



Our second stop was just up the road from Falkner, a little boutique winery named Alex's Red Barn Winery. They're open for tasting only on weekends but I think they would be worth the trip. I think they had the best overall offering... one of the few places that makes whites I really enjoy drinking! Both their Johannisberg Riesling and Viognier were delicious... very simple but textbook in how they should look and taste. Crisp, clean, not overly sweet, all I could think of was how I wished I was doing Thanksgiving dinner because they would DEFINITELY be on the list. One of their most interesting offerings was a Solera-type triple-cream Sherry made in the traditional manner. Unlike most ports and Sherries in California this does not come from the Zinfandel but from the Palomino grape. Absolutely delicious. I brought home a bottle of their Viognier and their old-vine Cab and plan to go back for more. As you can see, they believe in truth in advertising because the tasting room really is a red barn:



Lunch was taken at Baily's winery:



We didn't do a tasting there (this time) but their lunch offerings were quite nice and the outdoor seating was right next to the grapes. Elbert took FOREVER deciding (it's my blog Elbert, I can write what I want * grin *):



The most disappointing place was the one that I had come to Temecula with the highest hopes... Palumbo. I had heard a lot about this place but I have to say, everything on the list disagreed with me. To be fair, they admit that they taste their wines early, so perhaps given time I would enjoy them but everything I tried seemed out-of-balance, either too much tannin or too tart. Elbert used the word "sour" and afterwards he tummy bothered him. On my next trip I may pick up a bottle and lay it down for a year to see what happens.

We went to Wilson Creek. Almond "champagne"... next.

The award for the most impressive tasting room went to Ponte Winery. Absolutely stunning for area. Ponte is also doing things with traditional Italian offerings such as a Barbera, Sangiovese (both not bad but could use a little work), and a "Super Tuscan" (Sangiovese and Cab). I enjoyed their Petite Syrah enough to pick up a bottle. I wanted to try their Nebbiolo but it wasn't on the tasting list :-( Hopefully next time.

Our last stop was suggested to us by the people at Falkner. Frangipani Estate Winery. You have to know where it is to find it, but it is definitely worth the stop. I have actually been there before but in the intervening years they have "grown up" and are producing some very nice wines. Their whites were pretty crisp and clean. The Sauvignon Blanc was quite tasty, full of tropical fruits but not sugary. I also enjoyed their reds, especially their nice, soft Grenache and Cab Franc (nice little hints of herbs there). Somehow these wines found their way into my car!

So overall I was happy. Not only did I get to spend time with a good friend but discovered that the neighborhood DOES produce some good wines. Granted you have to search for them but the adventure is well worth it.

No comments: