Thursday, October 04, 2007

More About What I Love

I posted a few days back about being a romantic and loving characters like Doctor Who, Gandalf, Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, etc. To this I add two characters, but the best part is that one of them is a real human being. The first is a character named Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden of Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files". Harry Dresden is "Chicago's only practicing professional wizard". While Harry doesn't quite see himself as actually good (he usually describes himself as pragmatic), things that really push his buttons are women and children in distress and people who are being abused by those against whom they cannot fight back. Harry's enemies can see this. One of them, a vampire lord, bought a grave for Harry and set up a tomb stone which reads "Harry Dresden... He died doing what is right". Wow. To have your worst enemy say this about you is really something. So Harry gets added to the list.

What made me really happy was I know someone kinda like that. Someone I have gotten to know recently wrote to me the following in an email:

I swore to defend freedom and democracy around the world, and I swore to fight for the weak. and that is why I'm doing what I'm doing.

And you know what... he really does believe it. When you talk to him about that he gets very serious and the emotion become palpable. I feel go glad to know that there really are people like this in the world (besides my own parents). Even more so when they like me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I am very flattered!!! Thank You!

Mike Pape said...

And I am honored knowing you.