Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Pre-Exam Prep

It's not what you think. For the last few weeks I have been experiencing incredible headaches and usually at the most inopportune times. So, even though my yearly physical is a scant two weeks away I got in to see my internist. He's a great doctor, very thorough, but it seems like most times I see him needles get involved. Though I think this time I did myself in. After a pretty damned rigorous gross physical (including basic neurological tests) he said "Didn't you tell me your grandfather had coronary blockage?" and I just HAD to be honest... I told him yes. Well, that did it. Above my protestations he immediately started filling out forms for lab work. They drew four vials of blood and I have to have a cranial MRI.

* sigh * Needles AND my mild claustrophobia, what a combination.

Feeling a bit down I decided to do what any other red-blooded American (and I know my blood is red when it hits oxygen, I saw it in the tubes), I drove home, grabbed a book and walked to The Vine. It's Tuesday night so I know that my favorite waitress in OB, Tutu, is there. To help (1) dull my anxiety and (2) improve blood circulation I decided to take this opportunity to work on my tasting for my sommelier exam and did a comparison of two Zinfandels, the 2005 Di Arie (Amador county) and the 2005 Roshambo Zinfandel (Sonoma). Of the two I prefer the Di Arie. I found it less "hot" (the legs on the Roshambo were pretty danged thick) and I found the tannins of the Di Aria more "chewy" and full. I also found the Roshambo to have a bit of weak finish. The nose on Di Arie seemed to be more "traditional" Zin with a bit of "jam" and just a hint of chocolate. So between the Vine burger and the two glasses of Zin I am feeling better... still apprehensive, but better.

No comments: