Friday, October 26, 2007

Taking Stock

Well, it seems that the SoCal conflagration has taken a turn. Between a pretty still night and a cooling trend along with moisture many are thinking the worst part is over. I was fortunate... well, blessed actually. Other than dry eyes and a cough I was physically and economically untouched (emotionally is another story). It is times like these that make people do deep soul searching, asking themselves/God/the universe "Why?". There are theological responses to the question but most are not emotionally satisfying (not to say they are illogical but to those who have not been through the mental gymnastics of a good philosophy of religion or apologetics course they can seem rather harsh). The one that comes to mind today is what is often called the "Soul Making Theodicy". I think of this one because of what I have seen in San Diego as the response to this terrible tragedy, that because of this evil great good comes forth. An enormous outpouring of compassion to those in need. All week I have found this a personal challenge that I gladly take up. Long, long ago my parents taught me the Biblical principle of stewardship, that the things in this life I am given I am to use to further "The Kingdom" (or if you prefer, to do good with, not to hoard). Luke 12:48 sits constantly in my mind ("For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more" to which my parents taught me that "much" is relative. We were poor, but there were always people who had less and it was those we helped). Every day I was in my local Vons "my" checker Dolores asked "How much do you want to give to the fire victims today?" and I would give her an amount. After discussing things with Romeo we cleared out the checking account for the Red Cross (Romeo said it was ok if he had to eat dry kibble for while... unlike some poor kitties he has something to eat). At lunch yesterday Mr Beau said something extremely profound... that everyone can do a little something, and no one knows how great a good that little something can do. So please, do a little something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one! Only someone like you could write something like this! Keep up the GOOD WORK, MIKE!!!

Mr Beau

I hope someone else read this BLOG!!!

Mike Pape said...

Thanks Mr Beau. You're making me blush.