Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Two Quotes

One long, one short, both by J. R. R. Tolkien:

We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed, only by myth-making, only by becoming a 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbor, while materialistic "progress" leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.

And one that is perhaps more potent...

...the power of Evil in the world is not finally resistible by incarnate creatures, however "good"; and the Writer of the Story is not one of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, why are you posting this? Out of context, it doesn't make much sense. I believe that we are, at times, guided by beings or a being far superior to ourselves, but I don't think that myth makers have a special pipeline. Good and evil is much more complex than described in a Tolkein book.

Mike Pape said...

Simply two quotes I like from JRRT's letters. Why are they out of context when they are simply statements I like and sentiments I happen to share? On another note, I don't think Good and Evil are quite that complex since I do believe in objective good and objective evil, but I have often been accused of being simple minded.