Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Officially Entering Old Age

Well, it happened... yesterday I have officially entered "old age". Why? Yesterday my doctor put me on blood pressure medication. It's mild, hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic. We had a good discussion (I really like my doctor, he listens to me and lets me tell him what to... up to a point, but that is because he has done a good job of educating me over the years). But the elevation is most likely caused by bodily changes including the roughly 20lbs I have accumulated over the last couple of years. Everything else is excellent, no worries about anything else. So until I drop the weight and we test again I will at least have a valid medical excuse for leaving long, boring meetings early.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop thinking about how old you are and get out and do some outside exercise activity like biking, hiking, group sports, etc. Much of how you feel is mental, so why resign yourself to being an old fart when you could be having fun in sunny San Diego. Wear sun glasses and you can secretly ogle the young and/or beautiful while you are out and about.

Mike Pape said...

Actually I do work out, but as age increases it seems metabolism decreases so the amount of working out that sufficed 10 years ago doesn't quite work these days. I do work out at the gym as well as hike and bike ride on the weekends. It's just a process but one that does need tweaking as one ages.