Friday, May 25, 2007

Sex And The Single Guy

Dating. At 44 it's a scary thought, especially in the body conscious mix of gay San Diego. It really seems that modern gay culture is hyperfocused on the sexual aspect of life. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with have a normal healthy sexual appetite (the danger tends to come when yours is either above normal or there is a huge discrepancy between yours and the other person in your life). But does it ALWAYS have to be the case that the other person has to want to schtup you first and THEN perhaps ask you out? Given my current sub-par physical state as well as my muddled internal psychodynamics I am probably cutting my chances of having an emotional encounter with someone with my new self-mandate of "No sex until you pass my quiz". This seems to be the only way that I will find someone who actually is interested in me as a person AND it makes me get to know someone before jumping in the sack (I know, some of you who know me personally or read this blog regularly are snickering... stop that, I mean what I am writing here). I'm far too along in life to play games, even if those games mean a couple of hours of physical fun. So here are the rules... if you are serious about seeing me sans vĂȘtements you should actually know some things about me such as:

  • What's my name (with proper spelling and pronunciation)?
  • How old am I?
  • Where am I from?
  • When is my birthday?
  • What's my pet's name?
  • What do I do for a living?
  • Where did I attend college and what was my major area of study?
  • What are three of my favorite movies?
  • Can you name a book I am currently reading?
  • Who are three of my favorite authors?
  • Can you name two of my favorite television shows?
  • Without looking at your cell phone, what is my phone number?
  • Can you name two regions that produce some of my favorite wines?
  • What are my political leanings?
  • Can you name three of my favorite philosophers and why they are my favorite?
  • Boxers or Briefs (you'll have to ask, I won't show)?

    What do these have in common? Not much except that you have to actually talk to me and pay attention to what I am saying. you will have to engage me as a person with interests and desires beyond bedroom Olympic events. And you know what, I will have to be able to answer similar questions about you before "it" will happen. (Hey, I saw you roll your eyes... stop that, I'm serious). You see, it's about trying to gain a measure of self-respect and control over my life. Sure, it will be tough (well, in reality not quite so tough... unlike others I know men are not beating a path to my door) but honestly I think I am worth getting to know. I hope you think so as well.
  • No comments: