Saturday, January 21, 2006

Headache

*sigh* I just finished Anscombe's Three Philosophers. I enjoyed the sections on Aristotle and Aquinas, but Frege gave me a headache. If you don't know Frege, he was a logician's logician. If are REALLY curious you can find some information about his work here (Frege's Logic). After struggling through the section (which was a small overview) I had a headache, immediately followed by sadness. It dawned on me that I had not done any formal work in mathematics in 14 years (and my only formal logic class was as a sophomore in the early '80s)! I had spend a decade taking math classes, but after the completion of my last class in the doctoral program, I was essentially done (I went into information technology as a career). So, in a mini-midlife-crisis mode I have vowed to relearn at least some of what I have forgotten. My start... formal logic and set theory... now where the heck did I put those books?

No comments: