Sunday, May 18, 2008

What We Miss By Not Looking

Mr Beau took me on a date today to see the second installment of the Chronicles of Narnia, Prince Caspian. Like the first movie, this one touched me. Call me silly and sentimental, but simple statements of faith and truth can move me to tears. One of the most poignant exchanges comes between Lucy, the youngest child, and Peter who is the oldest:

Peter: Why didn't I see Aslan?
Lucy: Perhaps you weren't looking for him.

Immediately thoughts go to Jeremiah 29:12 - 14 where we find the promise given to Israel "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity."

If you seek, you will find. How often we miss this simple truth in our daily lives. We walk around with blinders on, often missing the big picture of life happening around us. How many relationships are ruined, opportunities lost, hours drained from our lives just because we do not open our eyes and look around us? How much do we miss by not living in the moment, observing our own behaviors and the reactions of those closest to us? As Doctor Phil says, we create our own experiences. The choices we make each day have consequences, but how often do we go about our lives asking how things could be like they are rather than asking how they could be any other way? How much do we miss because we don't look? Whether it is of eternal value (missing God because we don't look for Him in our daily lives) or temporal (the chance for happiness or to cut off actions that could lead to sadness and trouble), our lives are lessened when we fail to look.

No comments: