Monday, November 19, 2007

Putting My Life Back Together

Saturday was a big event for me. Not in terms of an earthshaking activity but something of great importance. It was the first time since the separation that I have had people to the house without Aleks by my side. It wasn't huge or elaborate, but it was something I did all my own. On Saturday I had guests over for a home cooked meal. Mr. Beau, Elbert and his partner Cory came to my house and we spent several hours eating, talking, drinking and just socializing. It felt good to finally get back into the kitchen. The menu, as prepared with my own little hands, was:

  • Beef tenderloin steaks with a balsamic Vinaigrette reduction

  • Roasted potatoes with bleu cheese and chives

  • Green beans lightly salted and sauteed with gralic

  • Sauteed mushrooms

  • French bread (the only thing I didn't make)

  • Pumpkin cheese cake on a gingersnap crust


  • The main wine was Penfold's Bin 389 followed by Curtis Heritage CuvĂ©e. The cheese cake was served with a nice Guwerztraminer. We also opened a bottle of champagne to celebrate good news from both Mr. Beau and Elbert.

    It was fun, from staying up until almost 1am the night before making the cheese cake after a software release to even doing the dishes on Sunday. Do I still miss Aleks? Absolutely. The difference between six months ago and now is that I can see my life continuing.

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Dinner was GRRRRREAT!!!
    Where did you ever learn how to cook? Very impressive, Thank you for inviting me :)

    Mike Pape said...

    It was my pleasure. Any time you want me to cook just let me know. Besides, I owe you a lasagna.