Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Rudeness

Why are people so rude? I'm not talking about the inability to set a table or knowing the proper manner of introducing people, but simple, common, everyday courtesy. Take driving. Driving in San Diego is a nightmare. Yes, we have had a huge influx of "square state" refugees in recent years, but that doesn't tell the whole story (and in my humble opinion simply pushes off responsiblity to the nameless "them"). Part of my commute to work takes me past several merges where the drivers on the freeway refuse to allow people on. I've seen people in the right hand lane deliberately close a gap just so a car cannot merge onto the freeway. What do these people think they are going to win by keeping someone from merging in front of them. When my parents taught me to drive I was taught the "one car" rule... to let one car merge in with the idea that the car behind you would do the same, kind of like shuffling cards. People get on the freeway, traffic may slow but doesn't stop, pretty much the best situation. Of course courtesy on part of the people who want to merge is also expected. If someone creates a gap for one car to merge, two cars shouldn't attempt it ("wait your turn" is another lesson in courtesy). But rudeness extends beyond playing in traffic. My gym has a large plaque stating very clearly "All Members Must Have A Towel At All Times", yet there isn't a day go by when I don't see people without towels... and some of those with towel should really learn to use them (I mean, who likes to put their hand on the handles of the elliptical machine and feel the nice wetness of sweat, or sit on a weight bench and suddenly HOPE that what you feel is sweat). And don't get me started on the bathroom... I can't speak for the ladies' room, but for heaven's sake men, make sure the toilet paper goes into the bowl and FLUSH!). Today I was coughed on and sneezed at by people who refuse to cover their mouths. I mean, really, who raised these people?

I think people have forgotten the reason for good manners. They are not to impress people (and in fact, as in the case of proper speech, good manners will cause many today to think less of you than more of you). In How To Be A Gentleman, John Bridges has this to say (with my assistance to make it more PC *ugh*):

"The truth of the matter is, being a gentleman [or lady] is not rocket science. Being a gentleman [or lady] requires a little logic, a bit of forethought, and a great deal of consideration for others [emphasis mine]. It is not about complicated rules andconvoluted instuctions. Instead, it is about trying to make life easier for other people. It is about honestly and sincerely being a nice guy [or gal]. "

Just being considerate, being thoughtful of others and aware that the world really doesn't revolve around any one of us (well, actually, my friend Nicolas sent me a picture of two Americans at Burger King who looked large enough to have their mass be considered in the gravitational attraction calcuations of heavenly bodies, but that is another rant for another day) would make our lives go much more smoothly. And people, please, the next time you use the treadmill don't use to hand to wipe off sweat from your head and fling your hand to get rid of it... here's a hint: that's what the towel is for.

No comments: