Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Station Break

My partner and I have been watching "Absolutely Fabulous" recently. Last night, while watching the episode titled "Jealous", Edina (Jennifer Saunders) gave one speech that, if you pay attention, actually gives a rather meaningful message to today's society:

"I was gonna make a speech, but I just can't be bothered anymore. I mean this used to be, like, fun, you know. You know it used to be fun, you just ball out all the fun bits now, you know, with all these lunches and launches… You know, with some no career celebrities and party desperates… And what for, huh? It all culminates in crap-tags and mags? Well I'm sorry there has to be something more than that, doesn't there? Well I had a speech, you know? The whole projected-intergrated-global-tele-network system, bloody system, system… But you know, if that's what the world's coming to I don't want to be in it, I don't want that. I don't want to be in some sort of hyper-space bloody virtual reality, I don't want that! Exchanging email with some bloody old-age hippies with more information at their fingertips than is safe, I don't want that. What kind of reality is that, with a 13-amp plug on the end of it, huh [Emphasis mine]? That can be unplugged like that. [She gets up to leave] No, I'm not going yet. No, you, [points to her competition] you you sit there with your bell-curves and bloody ad-man, crack-head ad-man over there, those kings of bastardization, who took anything that was ever real and genuine and honest and attached it to a toilet cleaner. Whereas I, like a bird upon the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried, in my way, to be free. [Edina tries to sing] You can laugh but you know something, I don't want more choice I JUST WANT NICER THINGS! And you, tear that look off your face with your whales and your cancer and your AIDS and starvation, yeah, skimming any profit off the whole of human misery, ladeling us all with this 'global guilt.' You know it may not be all great and good but it ain't that bad, you know, so common' world cheer up, it may never happen? [Emphasis mine]."

Eddy... I couldn't have said it better myself.

2 comments:

jenniferlouisewright said...

Brilliant. Thanks so much for posting that. As ever, Jennifer Saunders bang on the money with her acerbic salient wit pertaining to the ills of modern society. If you enjoyed this, you should look out for Eddy's speech in series2 'Poor' after she has been arrested for traffic offences. What she says is hilarious, but underneath the darker more socially pertinent side is ever-so apparent. Oh how pompous I am tonight! lol ... I just happen to think that Jennifer Saunders is a genius and thank you for reminding us why!

Mike Pape said...

Thanks Jennifer! It's amazing what you can pick up from "Ab Fab" (not to mention other French and Saunders productions) if you actually pay attention to them. Eddy's speech in court is scheduled to be coming up soon (they love taxes here in California so I will be able to work her sagacity with ease).

Saw your site, you have some lovely... photos (but not of chairs, at least from what I saw).