Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Coulda Been A Contender

Just pulled my "Motley Fools" CAPS rating for my stock picks where you select a basket of stocks and predict whether it will outperform or underperform the S&P 500 within a given timeframe. The lifetime results I have are:

tpape's rating is 96.75.

* Score: 193.88 (92nd percentile)
* Accuracy: 100.00% (99th percentile)

A member's rating indicates his percentile rank in CAPS. tpape is outperforming 96.75% of all CAPS members. A member's score is the total percentage return of all his picks subtracting out the S&P. A member's accuracy is how often that member has made correct predictions

So out of >65000 people I'm doing OK. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome!
Dump the wine site and start your own stock profiling site.
P.S. Sorry about your father. Given the number of grim posts in the past, it was inevitable. Loss of a parent is a critical milestone in a life. It confirms your own mortality. You should make every attempt to be there when the time comes.

Mike Pape said...

Thanks, but the wine site is fun for me and I am afraid that if I stopped writing it for stock advice I would create a work-like environment. I love writing about wine and food and the other site is gaining traffic (I have a tracking scheme running, getting hits from 28 different countries which is a lot of fun to watch).

My father's condition has taken a turn for the worse recently, a simple procedure turned nasty. He's recovering but it is causing a lot of pain for him. Thank you for thinking of him in your comment.

Anonymous said...

I realized that my reply was somewhat one-sided. While this is a critical event in your life, it is a bigger milestone in his. My father also died of metastatic cancer. The process of dying involves a series of steps that can be recognized by health professionals. The hospice was critical in helping us through the process. I urge you to go when the time comes. It will be the last chance you have to tell him that you love him. More importantly, you will help him through this stage of his life.