Monday, July 21, 2008

Vorlon Leadership

I was honored by being selected as one of a small number employees identified as having the potential to become a true leader within my company and last week was sent to a leadership intensive held at company HQ. One of the early focal points was the concept of authentic leadership whose central idea is that of self-awareness. After a brief introduction to the concept I raised my hand and said "So you're siding with the Vorlons?" Dead silence in the room. I then explained that the main arc from a sci-fi series named Babylon 5 was a war of philosophy between (essentially) the Vorlons and the Shadows. Glossing over a lot of detail, the Vorlons believed the prime question a being should answer is "Who are you?" while the Shadows focused on that of "What do you want?" Authentic leadership has at its core (like the Vorlons) the idea that to be a leader you have to first understand yourself, your own principles, your motivations, your values, before you can become a credible leader. I happen to agree. This is not to negate the Shadow question, but without answering the Vorlon question first trying to answer the Shadow question leads to disharmony and discordant requests that will only confuse those who answer to you. In short, I spent last week learning I am a Vorlon... now if I can just glow in the dark and fly :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and kudos for being selected for your leadership potential. It is very impressive. Forgive me for saying this, but I would drop the Vorlon references in professional circles. Most people would not identify with it or understand it and would also associate you with fantasy characters, perhaps negatively. As a leader, aren't you supposed to be yourself?

Mike Pape said...

If I dropped the Vorlon references I wouldn't be myself. Part of what makes "me, me" is that I find these strange connections everywhere I look. I found that the people in this group responded better to my Vorlon reference than they did to my Gabriel Marcel reference to the same thing. Seems modern America is more tilted toward science fiction than French existentialism :-)