Monday, June 18, 2007

Lessons From Strange Places

One of the books my therapist has mentioned as worth taking a look at goes by the provocative title of The Ethical Slut. It is... interesting. While I don't agree with many of its suppositions I did find something very elementary but quite eye-opening for me. On page 100 I have found what may be the most important bit of advice I have been given in my current journey of self-discovery:

"Your relationship with yourself is what you bring to a relationship with another person: it is what you have to share, your offering, personally, emotionally, and sexually. The sexier you are to yourself, the sexier you will be to your lovers."

This is a huge hurdle for me to get over... though I am finding I don't mind myself as much as I did. I've got a ways to go, but I now seem to have a direction.

No comments: