Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My Day Without A... Huh?

It started out as "Day Without An Illegal Alien", then "Day Without An Undocumented Immigrant", then "Day Without An Immigrant", and finally, thanks for our wonderful California Assembly it became "Great American Boycott". Supposedly it was to show us the "economic might" of the (illegal) immigrants but expanded to show support for (illegal) immigrants. I listened to reports all day long and I learned the following:

  • Supporters of the march know virtually nothing about history.
  • Supporters of the march know virtually nothing about logic.
  • Supporters of the march, on the whole, know nothing about the current political climate in Washington.
  • Supporters of the march, on the whole, know nothing about economics.
  • School age supporters, on the whole, were there simply to skip school and party.
  • The greatest negative economic impact was in the heavily hispanic populated areas.

In thinking about my "Day Without An (Illegal Alien/)Immigrant - Great American Boycott", the only impact I experienced was positive... my normal morning and evening commute was about 30% shorter than normal (shaved off about 10 minutes normal commute time each way). Let's see... I got up at 5:30AM to go to my gym (which was open and full), stopped in at my grocer (open, busy, and fully stocked), bought my morning paper at "my" 7-11 (open, stocked, full of customers), listened to my morning programs on the radio (normal programming) as I ate breakfast and got ready for work, drove to work (roads about 70% normal capacity, wonderful traffic flow), arrived at work (parking lot nearly full), worked the morning, had lunch with my friend Andrew at our regular watering hole (normal capacity, fully staffed), went back to work, drove home (again, nice traffic flow), had dinner with Pookie, watched a DVD, did a little homework, went to sleep. Impact... NONE.

As I said before, I am shifting in my thoughts about mankind. As I listened to the reports coming in from the mainstream press and listening to the speeches of the activists I kept sputtering "But... but... non sequitur... hasty generalization... invalid form... strawman arugment...", but alas, it didn't matter. People don't want to reason through things. In our French class there is an older man who is the same way. I had to leave while he polluted the air with biased, unfounded opinion about Christianity. Aleks apparently tried to engage him after he attacked one of our classmates (this happened while I was venting outside), but Aleks said he wouldn't listen, he had absolutely no intention of engaging in conversation, just like the people I heard on the radio. Two more examples of why Aristotle's definition of man was off base. *sigh*

No comments: