Friday, March 24, 2006

Jesus Christ, Illegal Alien?

I almost succumbed to the California mindset and titled this post "Jesus Christ, Illegal Immigrant". Luckily my solid conservative genes kicked in and I caught myself. When the ruckus started a few years ago and I began to notice that the press was substituting the words "undocumented immigrant" for "illegal alien" I took a pledge then and there to always say "illegal alien". Now, about four years of left-leaning media saturation almost brought me down. The fact that most media outlets have dropped the "illegal" aspect made me think that I would be okay in changing "alien" for "immigrant". Subtle. Of course, the Devil took on the form of what the Scriptures call the most subtle of animals (Genesis 3:1 for you KJVers, or you can use other translations of the Hebrew such as "cunning" if you prefer say ESV). Now, being the conservative that I am I believe in standing for the American version of "God, King, and Country" but I still get a sharp pain in the pit of my stomach when politicians try to pepper their speeches with religious references because, let's face it, most have at best a facile understanding of the Bible. Hence the latest speech given by Mrs Clinton (or is it Ms Clinton, or Ms Rodham? I can't keep these kinds of things straight) on the issue of the recent U. S. House of Representatives bill concerning the status illegal aliens, where the junior senator from New York made the astonishing statement that would make criminals of the Good Samaritan and probably even Jesus Himself! I have read the speech and tried to create logic diagrams of her "argument" and for the life of me I just don't see it. Thinking I may have missed something in the actual historical context I search through my rather extensive theological holdings and could find nothing that placed either the story of the Good Samaritan or anything of the facts surrounding the life of Christ into the current framework of the illegal alien debate. Now I know Bill Clinton did the same thing with some of his various invocation of religious imagery, but at least the man sounded like he meant it. If you listened to her give the speech you know what I mean... a complete lack of emotion or even the slightest hint of conviction in what she was saying displayed with her voice. While this does not take away from any argument, I think a speaker should at least convey something of the passion they feel when speaking on such a charged topic.

Will politicians on both sides of the spectrum PLEASE stop trying to bolster their support by the intonation of Biblical references? I distrust more than half of the so-called trained clergy out there, what makes politicians with no theological training believe that I am going to think "Why, they must be alright on this issue, they said 'Jesus' in their speech!" Perhaps this is what most Americans do these days... if so, God help us! I have the same words for the self-important actors attempting to speak with authority on political topics as I do for politicians using religion... "Shut up already!"

No comments: